Wednesday 7 January 2015

BOOK REVIEW

ANATOMY OF A MISFIT
Andrea Portes

PUBLISHER: Harper Teen
GENRE: Contemporary
PAGES: 336
GET A COPY: BookDepository/Amazon

"Outside, Anika Dragomir is all lip gloss and blond hair—the third most popular girl in school. Inside, she’s a freak: a mix of dark thoughts, diabolical plots, and, if local chatter is to be believed, vampire DNA (after all, her father is Romanian). But she keeps it under wraps to maintain her social position. One step out of line and Becky Vilhauer, first most popular girl in school, will make her life hell. So when former loner Logan McDonough shows up one September hotter, smarter, and more mysterious than ever, Anika knows she can’t get involved. It would be insane to throw away her social safety for a nerd. So what if that nerd is now a black-leather-jacket-wearing dreamboat, and his loner status is clearly the result of his troubled home life? Who cares if the right girl could help him with all that, maybe even save him from it? Who needs him when Jared Kline, the bad boy every girl dreams of, is asking her on dates? Who?


««««

I'm going to start with something I didn't like about this book - the romance. I didn't like it all. I didn't like how much Anika switched between Logan and Jared and how annoying juvenile it was. I understand it is about a 15 year old girl but I just couldn't deal with her view on the whole thing and how easy it was for to just blow one of for the other.

That being said, I really did enjoy this book. It was such an insightful and true account of her dealing with love, family, friends and everything else live has to offer when you're a 15 year old girl. It felt so whitty and funny in parts and Portes writing throughout was such a delight.

What I wasn't prepared for however, was the ending. It was so heartbreaking. I was broken. I literally had to put the book down with only ten pages to go just to have a moment to process what had just happened. It was the biggest "wtf just happened?" moments I've read.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It was such a quick and easy read that I think anyone could enjoy. Melissa Kantor blurbed this book saying she had laughed her way through until the book broke her heart into a million pieces. I think that pretty much sums up my experience and I definitely recommend it to everyone.

Has one else read this book? If so, what did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment